Saturday, March 29, 2008

My first....

I look at this young girl and my eyes swell with tears. Oh, how I remember holding her in my arms as an infant. I was young, but oh so very proud to be an aunt for the very first time. When my mother was diagnosed with cancer and Lauren was near the age of 2, my brother Tyrone moved from Hattiesburg to help us. Oh the fun! I was so excited to have them there. The moment I got in from school, I couldn't wait to play with her and my little brother who was 1 at the time. There's this one picture of Lauren and I and I remember this day like it was yesterday. She sat down on the couch and put a pillow on her lap and said "Sinda lay down, I play with your hair." Needless to say...we both fell asleep, her sitting up and me lying down with my head in her lap. It's priceless. So, now I think back and realize just how much easier she made it for me, with momma being sick. It took my mind away from the reality of things. Most say I was young and didn't know what was going on. Oh trust me, I knew how she suffered, I heard her moan when she hurt. But she was tough...tough as she could be. But, Lauren was one of the things that occupied me enough to ease the sadness, and the hurt. She was my first...My first niece, the first to start school, the first to go to prom, the first to graduate, the first to college, the first to turn 16-18-21, and now the first.....the very first to become a wife. WOW! Where has all the time gone. And I must say...I worry for her, but then I see her happy, happy with her soon to be...and I am relieved. Relieved that he is her happiness. You can see it in her smile and in her eyes. For that I am proud for her. I know that this is not the last of her being my first....so for that I am blessed. To Lauren, may you always know true happiness, May you be blessed with a pure and true marriage always, & May God be a part of your marriage always. I love you and I am always here for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I cried when I read that. They grow up so fast.